Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Least Influential Teacher

A random writing prompt from the WritingFix website (no editing):
"Who taught you close to nothing? Write about the teacher who had the least impact on you."



In 8th grade, I was the ultimate nerd. I loved school and, since I was inept at sports, my competitive nature was fueled by grades. How well I did on quizzes, was I the highest scorer on the test, and did I get straight A’s were my benchmarks in the world as I knew it. I wasn’t that great in technical subjects, like math, but ones which demanded my own thoughts and opinions were the classes where I excelled.

History was my favorite because it was the closest to meeting that criteria. Yes, I had to memorize dates and places, but the wonderful thing about history was the fact that you had to analyze why certain events happened. And then, you could wonder if certain events, which seemed small at the time, hadn’t happened, what would the world be like today? And were bad events almost necessary to get us to where we are now? Wonderful, philosophical questions came from the study of history and I was an ardent student.

So, imagine my disgust when, on my first day of 8th grade, in walked Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith was the new wrestling coach and was “made” to also teach. And he got history as his subject. I spent the year horrified as he put the Battle of Normandy in Britain, insisted FDR served two terms, and only wanted the basics of dates and places. There were no philosophical discussions in Mr. Smith’s class, except in his discussion of the previous night’s wrestling meet.

He was even worse in classroom management. He seemed like he wanted to be our peer instead of teacher. So dealing with him was exactly like dealing with a friend you would have in junior high. One day, you were his best friend and could do no wrong. The next, you had committed some unknown grievance and were made to sit in the hallway.

The final straw for me was the class trip we were supposed to take. I was told one day before I wouldn’t be able to go because my name was on the board. Earlier in the year, Mr. Smith had decided a “Lord of the Flies” approach to teaching was needed and told students that if anyone bothered them, they could write that student’s name on the board and said student would be punished. I pointed out that the date my name was written on the board was on a day I wasn’t even in class but was at a band competition. He thought for a minute and then said, “Well, that doesn’t matter. Your name was on the board and you can’t go.”

I wished horrible things for Mr. Smith on that day, or at least as horrible as a twelve-year old’s mind can go. Mainly, I just wished he wasn’t my teacher anymore, or anyone else’s teacher for that matter. He was young, athletic, loved wrestling, and obviously didn’t want to be in the classroom. Why couldn’t he just go away?

Fast forward fifteen years and I was an assistant administrator of a nursing home. Our facility had been advertising for a housekeeper and we hadn’t received any good applicants. I had gotten back from a short vacation and went to the administrator’s office. She told me she had finally found a new housekeeper and he was in my office filling out paperwork and would be ready for me to give him an orientation to the facility policies and rules. I walked into my office and my stomach hit the floor. There, sitting in one of the chairs and obviously struggling with the paperwork, was Mr. Smith. The years had not been kind. When he looked up at me, I didn’t see any kind of recognition in his eyes and thought maybe I got it wrong. We started talking and it was obvious that drug use had taken most his faculties and even simple sentences were difficult. I kept glancing at his paperwork and there was his name all over it. It had to be him. Finally, I looked at his resume; there it was, the schooling and degree needed for him to have the past I remembered.

We both ignored the elephant in the room and I took care of his paperwork and orientation. It was strange to tell Mr. Smith, now called by his first name, to clean up the various messes of a nursing home. My twelve-year old heart would have loved to be in the position to order Mr. Smith around, but my twenty-seven year old heart wondered how did he become like this?

Finally, one day, I couldn’t ignore it anymore. I saw Mr. Smith in the hallway and started to say, “You probably don’t remember me, but I was a student of yours…” He interrupted me and stated that he did remember. He realized it on the first day. He didn’t give a lot of details of his life since then. But, at one point, he did put his head down and quietly said, “Well, I wasn’t that good of a teacher anyway.”

There was a long silence. I didn’t know what to say. I know a part of him needed to hear that, yes, you were good back then; at one point in your life, you were good at something, Mr. Smith. But, I couldn’t do it. He wasn’t a good teacher because he didn’t have any interest in it. I just mumbled something about needing to get back to my office and the paperwork.

I still wonder what I should have said.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow. I didn't expect that. You know, you think you would want to run into that person that gave you some grief and see his life not so good as your life is soaring, but when it happens their really is no true vindication is there? I felt sorry for him as I can tell you did too.

On another note, History was my favorite subject too. My daughter is taking History this semester, her second year in college and she's not too happy about it. I still get wide eyed as I tell her all the reasons I think History is so wonderful. She just looks at me, with this whatever look. lol

GeekUnderling said...

This really reminds me of my seventh grade math teacher. Mr. Lasley was also my homeroom advisor. Like most schools, RFHS required that we fill out an emergency contact information card with some other important data on the first day of junior high school. A six-foot-six-inch husky man in pressed pants, white long-sleeved shirt and plain black tie paced up and down the rows of desks, holding his pointer in one hand and slapping it in the palm of his other hand with each stride.

Unlike the subject of your story, Mr. Lasley was quite intelligent, and he knew it. Further, he believed there were few his equal. While he would have gotten no argument about there being no equal to him, from me anyway, I seriously doubted his intellectual capacity. For some reason, I think he knew that, as well.

While strolling the aisles he was giving instructions. "In the first box where it says print your first name legibly, please do exactly that. Print, I repeat, print your first name. Print it legibly, I repeat, legibly. Furthermore, be sure to use the proper case."

"This guy is a real winner." Rhonda Heiling snickered under her breath across the aisle to another of her friends. Rhonda wasn't especially cute or anything, but she had an annoying voice and a whisper that carried really well.

Mr. Lasley heard the whispering but didn't hear the words. Still, he knew the source. "So, Miss Heiling, what exactly will you be putting in the first box?"

"Capital R lower-case h-o-n-d-a, Mr. Lasley."

"Excellent," he said, "and everyone complete the rest of the form all the way down to the place of birth box, and wait for my instructions. Put your hand on your head when you are finished so I'll know we can continue."

I wasn't going to speak, but I can tell you this seemed very childish to me. After all, we were in junior high school for goodness sakes, NOT sixth grade.

When the signals were all given, and my left arm was nearly asleep from being up in the air so long, Mr. Lasley continued his instruction. "In the place of birth box, I want you to print, in proper case, the city where you were born, followed by a comma and a space, and then the two-letter abbreviation for the state where you were born. For example, if you were born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, you would print the city name...comma...space...Capital N, Capital M. Any questions?"

My hand went into the air almost automatically. Perhaps it was time to test his real intelligence quotient. Mr. Lasley stopped his stroll right in front of my desk. "Yes, Mr. Underling, what is your question?"

"How do you spell Albuquerque?"

The force of the back of his hand on my left cheek surprised me more than it hurt. Nevertheless, I accomplished a few things that day in homeroom. My composure remained in check, I tested Mr. Lasley's intelligence, AND I embarrassed him into an apology.

You see, I truly was born in Albuquerque, and I did need to know how to spell it. He thought I was trying to be a smart aleck. Imagine that! Thinking I, of all people, would be a smart aleck.

jkc said...

Oh wow, GU...I have to admit, that's pretty funny. I can picture the guy, strolling up and down the aisles. He kind of reminds me of our vice-principal in the 9th grade. He came in towards the end of the first semester so we had to have a big assembly to "introduce" him. He was a former something or other with the FBI and mentioned it many times. The funniest thing, though, was that he was wearing a machine gun belt buckle. ::snerk::

Your comment about him slapping kind of ties into another memory that relates to AG's comment. A few years back, I saw my first grade teacher. She used to always hit us on the hands with a ruler if we misbehaved. I always thought she was so awful....it turns out that we were the first class she ever taught. She was so nervous that she called her mentor and asked her how to keep a class in order and this lady told her to hit us with rulers! Of course, now, she recognizes how wrong it was but it was interesting for me to picture her as this young, nervous teacher...probably as nervous about the first day of school as her students were. You never think of your teachers as "human beings."

And AG, tell your daughter history is a wonderful thing...as long as it doesn't repeat itself :)

Charlene said...

I thought I would chime in too!I can't remember having a bad teacher like any of you describe, but I can say that I'm friends with my high school vice principal. Let me explain.

He has a unique last name, Rumppee, you can imagine how much fun we had with his last name in high school! Anyway, our family was at our pastor's home for a bbq one evening and my daughter started talking to him. She told him she attended Northshore Jr High at the time. He said she would be going to his school the following year, at Inglemoor High School.He was a teacher there along with his wife at the time of this conversation. I piped up and told him I went to Inglemoor in 1976. He shook my hand and said, "Well young lady, I was your high school vice principal!" You can imagine my surprise, as I never recognized him!

Since then we have become best friends and I consider it a special gift from God to be going to church with him now.