Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Creed

Too many years ago to remember, while some of the events in the "Story of Stories" were unfolding, I needed to work out who I was and would be about. No current bow existed to trace the source of my arrow of life, thus came a calling to define a target so the arrow would have a place to land. So the following is...My Creed.

It is my right to be decidedly me;
not a creation of those around me -- provided I will!
I look for chances to explore -- rather than to snore.
I want to risk; to dream and to build,
to fail and to succeed.
I refuse to trade favors for favors in order to get ahead.
I prefer the challenge of life to the guaranteed existence;
the thrill of accomplishment to the stale calm utopia.
I will not trade my dignity for a handout.
I will never cower before any master,
yet offer all praise, glory and respect to my God in Heaven.
It is my decision to stand erect, proud and unafraid;
to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit
of God's creations and those created through my hands,
and to face the world boldly and say, this I have done.
All this is what it means to be me.

7 comments:

Sally said...

As I read this with my first cup of coffee this morning (at work) I couldn't help but feel there was a spiritual message in there for me.
There is an area in my life at the moment..well best described as ..If you stop to pull someone out of quicksand..you may get pulled in too..

GU, you have not opened a window to who you are but you have opened the door. You have shown us that you are a very proud and independent person, filled with the joy of love and admiration of life, and all the wonders God has created in this world. With all this said you stand tall before our Lord and Savior to give Him all the praise, glory and respect.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

jkc said...

I LOVE the first sentence...yes, it IS our right to be ourselves, isn't it. It's not something we have to ask permission to do...that's such a powerful thought for me right now.

I really loved these two sentences in particular:

I prefer the challenge of life to the guaranteed existence;
the thrill of accomplishment to the stale calm utopia.

To not only acknowledge that life will bring struggles, but to welcome those struggles as the counterpoint to the boredom of "utopia" is another powerful statement. What is it that they say about the "unexamined life?"

GeekUnderling said...

See here's the deal. Shortly after the first paragraph in my Story of Stories, which is where much of my consciousness begins...I made the realization that since there was no father in my life, if I wanted to be one some day, I'd need to figure out what makes a good man and a good father. So I began looking for all the good traits in people that I wanted to make a part of who I was. Not an especially advanced endeavor, but one that struck me as a necessity for survival. That's when I began developing some of my life plans and fashioning some creed-like thoughts in my mind. It wasn't until many years later that I was able to articulate them. Life has been such a journey. And it continues to be!

Theresa said...

GU. This is incredible. To be able to reach in and pull this out. I found strength in so much of what you wrote and admired your desire to stand for something and your courage to seek it out.
Thank you for sharing.

jkc said...

Wow! To take something that's obviously so painful for you and to say, "No, I'm going to find a way to be stronger and better" is really admirable. I can't wait to read your finished creative piece for class.

jkc said...

oh, I forgot something in my last comment. GU, I am STILL searching for the right word for your piece "Plug in the Tub." I keep rereading it and I seem to have a different emotion each time. The line about the plunger always makes me smile but the overall feeling for me is one of frustration at the past and future colliding with each other all at once. I do know it's one of the best things I've read in a long time.

Anonymous said...

Very well said. More people should sit down and think about what they stand for and develop a code to live by.