Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rejoicing at life.

(No quality writing here...simply a rant!)

Sometimes when we think about issues, we take a very narrow perspective based solely on our own experiences and understanding. Is it helpful to take an opposite approach in our minds, if not on paper, to find flaws in our thinking? Personally, it is helpful for moral issues. The following is an example that can be loaded with emotions on all sides.
Do you think that if there is a higher power, however it is embodied, that higher power cherishes little children? Are those little children that are so young they don't have the capacity to think and decide for themselves bound for Hell before they make their own decision which will lead them elsewhere? I've always held them "Heaven-bound" until they make the conscious human decision to "bite the apple". Certainly infants and younger would be covered in the protective hands of that higher power, which I know to be, and will heretofore call, God.
If a woman dies while pregnant in a car accident, and the baby also dies, won't that child go to Heaven? I believe so...we don't know about the mother...but God does...and the decision will be made based on her life and decisions.
If a baby of a pregnant mother dies in an accident, will the baby go to Heaven? Will the mother? What if the mother took steps to cause the accident to happen knowing the baby would die and she wouldn't, and no one else would be the wiser. Will the baby go to heaven? Again, I believe so. Would the mother? Depends on the events that would follow. Would she be "judged" by God? Yes, but she can also find forgiveness, right.
Whether the rest of the world knows about such a thing or not...the baby will go to Heaven, and the mother (and father if involved) will be judged by God appropriately...and possibly eternally. Left to humans, the mother and father might not receive the appropriate judgement and penalty. In any case...the baby who dies, is safe for eternity.
This makes we wonder, and I've not yet cemented in my mind, whether the amount of money, energy and effort that we as a people put forth trying to permit, outlaw, control things such as abortion really have an eternal payoff - or are they strictly to make US feel better about US.
If "Susie, Sally, or Jane, and Fred, John or Marty" make a decision to abort a child before it is born, and no one in the world knows but them...the baby will go to Heaven. Whether WE think it is right, wrong or indifferent makes no eternal difference! God will judge each and everyone of us based on the lives we've lived.
One additional question that plagues me is...what if 'we the people' decide the baby can not be aborted and we force them to give it birth to this world. There are no guarantees that the child will be safe and secure for eternity, for the parents and the child's eventual choices and decisions will play a major role.
So my point is not that abortion should be legal or not, or that any other moral issue should be left to my discretion. Simply stated, let God decide what God should decide...and let the rest of us concentrate on living a life worthy of the judgement we hope He'll make about how we lived - NOT how our neighbors lived.
Did I just open a can of worms?

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I have two very solid thoughts regarding this subject.

1. I am against abortion.
2. I had one many years ago.

What we think we stand against can easily be changed when your the one standing in it. Alone, afraid and desperate.

It was a decision that tormented me for many many years, however I have made peace with that now.

I do believe these babies are taken to heaven and loved and cared for. I think some of these babies are better off aborted than born into a world where the mother and/or father are addicts, prostetutes, abusers, living on the streets.

I have one question for those who admantely stand against the abortion issue. Are you going to adopt and care for that baby when it is born or are you perfectly okay with protesting and then not losing one nights sleep as that child lives a life that you would't subject your dog too?

I trust there is forgiveness for those that repent that have commited such a heinous act.

And I pray for the day that no one any longer has to consider that as a solution.

Just my thoughts.

GeekUnderling said...

I was wondering if anyone actually had read this, or if they were so angry with me that they just couldn't find words! For what it's worth, I stand along side you in your objection to abortion, but there is no place I can find to justifiably wedge my personal feelings into the situation of another and expect it to be the over-riding or controlling opinion.

That being said, let me tell you that there is absolute proof that there is forgiveness if truly sought with a contrite heart. Look at Moses. Many aren't aware or it hasn't sunk in, that Moses was an orphan, AND he was a murderer. Yet God was able to take him and mold him and use him to do amazing things for His kingdom before he was taken to be "among his people". What a comfort, to know no matter what we do, if we truly confess AND repent, we will be forgiven.

End of sermon, eh?

Thanks for your comments!

jkc said...

Of course you opened a can of worms, but I love it! I think debating important issues makes all of us better writers.

I actually believe Christians have been fighting the wrong battle all these years. What's in the law now is nothing more than choice. If you want to stop abortion, then make your choice seem the more attractive one. As AG said, there are babies born in desperate situations...how many Christians are going to stand up and say, "I'm going to make a difference outside of my own four walls. I'm going to take in a terrified teenager who has no one else to turn to in this time. I'm going to make sure that women who have babies aren't limited to poverty and ensure their educational opportunities are the same. I'm going to make my fellow men stand up and become the fathers they should be."

There's a lot to contemplate here. And there's absolutely nothing that is unforgivable...we as Christians seem to forget that.