Friday, August 15, 2008

Walking With Miss Gracie

Walkikng With Miss Gracie


I went for a walk today with Miss Gracie, an energetic chatterbox of a girl. She’s two and the world is a wonderful place to explore. After I cleaned out imaginary sticks and rocks in her pink boots and she slipped them on and zipped them up, we set out on our adventure.


I intended to go around the block in a somewhat formal manner and get back to my tasks of the afternoon. But Miss Gracie had other ideas. She had to decide which direction to go first and what side of the street to walk on. We smelled pink button flowers in boxes along the sidewalk and then crossed over to the green and white broad leaves of a bush. We delighted in purple posies and decided that daises were pretty to look at and not to smell. Miss Gracie smiled back at the faces of pansies, tried a balancing act on the rocks, and meandered over grass and brush, reminding me of a river that could not make a straight path along its banks. We stopped to pet the pretty lion statues in a yard and I laughed as she had to stop to ‘rest her eggs ‘ on the bus stop bench.


Miss Gracie and I rounded the corner to climb a mountain of dirt and jump over stumps, all the while keeping a constant commentary on the importance of trees and rocks and pinecones. We stopped to say hello to her friend’s slide and finally arrived back at Miss Gracie’s house ready to explore another day; walking with Miss Gracie.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Hi Charlene, I really enjoyed this piece. I have read it several times just to put a smile on my face. I loved the "rest her eggs" line. That was precious.

I love looking at the world thru a childs eye. We should all stop and take the time to let a child lead us. It's a journey that will not soon be forgotten.

Thank you for sharing.

jkc said...

I really enjoyed this. I love how Miss Gracie took the narrator out of her comfort zone and let her see the world through different eyes. Definitely brought a smile to my face :)

Theresa said...

Hi Charlene,

Let me know the next time your in Houston visiting your Aunt. I am only 2 hours South from Houston. We can meet for coffee or lunch or something.