Monday, September 1, 2008

HP contest

In July the Leaky Cauldron (a Harry Potter fan site) had a contest to write about a story about a character that wasn't one of the main characters. I submitted the following story and thought it wasn't too bad. Of course I didn't win anything....too bad Ann's point of view lesson didn't occur prior to this. As I reread it I see can see some mistakes (changing POV, adverbs in explaining description). I thought I would go ahead and post it in case many of your are interested in HP like me. Here you are:

Arthur’s Question

“Isn’t it lovely, Arthur?”

“Ummm,” he replied distractedly to his beloved young Molly.

Standing near the edge of the lake along the stony beach, Molly looked at the breathtaking view. The flowers were in full bloom and the grass was lush and deeply green from the recent rains. She bent down to reach for a blossom. The fragrant air filled her nose as she inhaled.

Beside her Arthur’s hand fidgeted constantly in the pockets of his black trousers hidden beneath the rumpled well-worn cloak. Perspiration beads at his brow trickled down to his nose causing his glasses to slip. He reached up to loosen the tie around his throat that began to feel like a noose.

“I can’t believe the term is almost over,” Molly sighed standing up. “I’m going to miss this place. Things are going to change now that we won’t be returning to Hogwarts.”

“Yes,” agreed Arthur looking off into the distance. “The times are changing but not in the way you think.” He continued, “There are rumors that terrible things are beginning to happen. People are whispering and are scared. You’ve got to be careful.”

“I know,” Molly replied casually watching a barn owl fly to the owlery. A small parcel was clenched in its claws.

“No, Molly. I mean you really need to be careful. Extremely careful,” stressed Arthur. Turning towards Molly his eyes widened with fear. He pulled a clammy hand out of his pocket and took one of Molly’s hands in his own. “I’m worried.”

Not noticing Arthur’s concern, Molly said, “Arthur… why is your hand so sweaty? You’re not getting ill are you?” She continued to watch the owl fly overhead.

“No Molly,” replied Arthur, “I am not sick. I’m concerned about your safety.”

Molly turned to look directly into Arthur’s green eyes. “What are you saying Arthur?”

“Molly, I’m saying that with all the things that are going on, dark times are coming. I can feel it; some say a war is coming. And that means…” he paused to run his fingers through his red hair, “I wouldn’t want to lose you.”

“I wouldn’t want to lose you either, darling. I love you.”

“No, I mean I really don’t want to lose you. I can’t image my life without you. You’re everything to me.”

Arthur let go of Molly’s hand. Moving his robe aside, Arthur reached slowly into his pocket and pulled out cause of his nervousness. It was a beautiful antique ring. It had been in the Weasley family for generations. The diamond was small but adequate. He held it up for Molly to see.
His throat tightened and felt parched. With a large swallow Arthur’s voice choked out, “My dearest Molly Prewett, will you marry me?”

Molly didn’t know what to say. She was flabbergasted with the turn of events. She knew in her
heart that Arthur was the only one for her but she didn’t know that marriage was so close in their future. Standing there her legs began to become weak and shaky. She looked out at the sky becoming tints of red and purple.

Arthur waited several moments before questioning once again, “Molly?” There was a hint of anxiety in his voice. Was Molly not ready for this? Was she going to say no to his proposal? Maybe the timing was all wrong?

“Yes.” Tears sprang to Molly’s eyes. The emotion felt inside was bubbling to the surface.

“Yes, what?”

“Yes, I’ll marry you.” Molly said looking back to Arthur.

“Oh Molly….” He grabbed her around the waist and swung her around in a circle. There was joy and relief in his face.

“Arthur. Arthur!” she said the second time a little louder, “Put me down. Please.”

Carefully setting her feet down back on the rocks Arthur felt Molly’s legs wobble as she touched down. She was trembling. Arthur hoped it was from the exhilaration of the moment.
Holding her face gingerly in his well-worn hands Arthur asked one more time. “Are you sure Molly? Are you sure… Mollywobbles… that you want to marry me, Arthur Weasley? I can’t offer you much but I can offer you my heart. It’s everything I have.”

Molly shook her head yes.

Tenderly Arthur slipped the well-worn ring onto Molly’s left third finger where it would stay forever as a representation of their devotion to one another.

As the sun began to fade and the bats flew above the Forbidden Forest, Molly and Arthur turned to walk hand-in-hand back up the hill to the Gryffindor Tower at Hogwarts castle.

2 comments:

jkc said...

I'm a huge HP fan! And I love you concentrated on Arthur and Molly. I always thought the Weasley family, with its suggested long history in the wizard families, would make an excellent set of stories. I thought you captured Arthur and Molly's personalities well.

Theresa said...

I don't have a clue who these people are but I loved your story.

I really got into Arthur, I loved the way you described his struggle amongst her carefree behavior.

I realy enjoyed this.