Monday, August 25, 2008

Overview of things to come

This might not be a good idea, but in order to answer the questions in response to my creative piece in the class, I'm going to try to answer with a minimum amount of details.

The piece was actually chronologically the 7th of 25 chapters in my story of stories, but is the first chapter in my book. Although this was submitted as a creative piece, the creativity is only in the telling. The stories themselves are as true as the breath you are taking. No..not the one you are exhaling..the one you are about to take..no..wait..okay, you need to keep up with me here! :-)

After telling us we were adopted, Mom told us about our dad being a crooked man, threatening my mother to the point she got scared and left - but left my sister and I with him. We traversed the country avoiding capture by the authorities, "hooking up" with his new girlfriend and our now believed-to-be-mother, and eventually he was arrested by the FBI and removed from our lives. This was a traumatic event for me (age 4+ at the time), which caused me to lose memory of everything prior to the day he was taken away by train. The rest of the story deals with discovering the whereabouts of my birth mother, discovering a brother, losing that brother again, our decision, disappointments and whole process of adoption of our children and much, much more.

7 comments:

jkc said...

Wow! Well, first of all, I can't imagine how painful this must have been for you. But, selfishly as a reader, I can't wait to read this story.

GeekUnderling said...

Mostly its about attitude, jkc. Certain there was some heartache during some of the times, however we all get to make choices. Whether or not we like it, we are all where we are in life...period. We can chose to put our energy into lamenting the past or our current condition. There is some value in this at first...but only for a short time, IMHO.

Alternatively, we can determine that our resources would be best used taking what is in our toolbox and grabbing on to any other tools that will help us build the future that we want.

So I've chosen to build a better future for my children and those with whom I associate. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I have a pause between those successes that others may call a failure. Really, its just finding another way not to do it right.

They say an optimist sees the donut, and pessimist sees the hole. I chose to determine if its edible and then eat the donut and get what nourishment I can from it.

So is the real bottom line to "chose your donuts wisely"?
Hmmmmmmmm

Theresa said...

GU, what a fascinating story! Too bad it's not just a creative piece from a brilliantly creative mind.

Grown-up's can really mess things up for us kiddo's huh? I swore my kids would not know that kind of devastation and they haven't.

Your right, about grapping on to whatever tools that will help us. Being a Chrisitan yourself I think it is safe for me to say, that Jesus is the ultimate tool in maintaing sanity in an unsane world.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you post your entire story as it develops.

GeekUnderling said...

So do you think I should only post them in order? or should I post them whenever I get them done even if its out of order?

jkc said...

I think posting out of order (when you get them done) is fine. I'm certainly going to go that route with my story and, when I get feedback suggestions and make corrections, post the whole thing at once.

I do like "choosing your donuts wisely" :) But, I really can't wait to see what you have to say about choices. I think people taking responsibility for their own actions and choosing something better is really lacking in the world right now. Also, just commented on one of your older posts with "opening a can of worms."

Charlene said...

GU, You have a powerful story to tell! I think the world needs to hear not only what people went through, but how to help themselves. We can all feel sorry for our past and do absolutely nothing, or we can choose to have the hurtful cycle stop with us and find ways to work through our difficulties. Looking forward to hearing more.

Charlene said...

I feel privilaged to get the rest of the story. I know from experience that as you write your story it will bring a lot of healing and you will see how far you've come and how much the Lord watched over you.

I remember feeling like that when I wrote my own story. (Not the short one for class, but the whole story of what happened when I was growing up, why and how I dealt with the aftermath later, and God's healing on my life.) I was awed by the fact that I could see His hand on me and Him watching over me even before I came to a saving knowledge of who He is! Powerful stuff.

I'm excited to hear your story too.