Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mother

Several years ago, I had a serious disease and other related health problems, I was in a nasty divorce situation and had no job or money and a child to support. Mothers day was coming up and I just didn't have a thing for my mom. The following poem was all I had for her. She still has the original tucked away in what she calls her "treasure drawer"

MOTHER
As a young girl from the country you came,
You met a young boy and walked down the lane.
Excitement and love filled your head,
You and the young boy were wed.
There was a place for more love in your home,
You wanted children of your very own.
First came Sally with eyes of blue,
Oh my, if then you only knew.
Second came Harry with curly hair,
With all curiosity he really does care.
Third came Daniel so big, gentle and meek,
A handsome little baby when he was asleep.
Ma-ma, the first word of these three,
What a joyful sound it came to be.
Nothing for ourselves could we do,
All our needs were met by you.
As days went by like turning gears,
We grew into our teenage years.
Our trials and troubles came by the miles,
But we were always met with loving smiles.
With questions and problems to you we came,
No matter how big or small you answered us just the same.
Our mistakes and failures you are not at fault,
If we had just listened like we had ought.
Your deep devoted friendship and love,
Came to us, through you, from God above.
The struggles and sacrifices you have made,
Has surely a crown in glory laid.
The values of life that we have been taught,
To our children we pray have been brought.
Our childhood years have long been gone,
Most of your grandchildren are now grown.
Even some have children of their own,
We are so thankful for you they have known.
On this one most celebrated day,
To give you due thanks, there just is no way.
Your love, guidance, leadership and total giving,
Made all our lives worth living.
I am very hesitant about hitting this publish post, I feel as though I will bare my soul. I know this isn't professional writing but it's just a little something I have done. I hope you enjoy reading this. Well here goes the publish post button..............

5 comments:

jkc said...

This is absolutely beautiful! It's just so heartfelt and gorgeous. You did such a beautiful job of summing up her life through, not just her children, but her children's children and so on. You showed how she will always go on through the generations that came after her. And who cares about "professional" The last I looked, we're all writers...being published or "professional" isn't part of the definition : )

Theresa said...

Sally, I was enthralled by this. It said everything. It covered everything a heart would want to share with their mother.
Truly beautiful written. Thanks for sharing it with us.

GeekUnderling said...

An awesome tribute, so warm, honest and true. No wonder its in her treasure drawer.

Sally said...

Thank you all so very much for your comments. I really appreciate your support and I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

As a general rule, if you're afraid that somethng you wrote will bare your soul to the outside world, it means you probably did something right.

That was very heartfelt. The sincerity of the emotion shines through.