Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Here we go!

Hey all! As you can see in the upper right corner, we've got some great authors added and hopefully more on the way. So far: Sally, Ann Garci (Theresa...awesome pen name!), ShadowFlame, and Stan's Student (Vance). And Ann Garci, didn't you post a mention of the blog earlier in our class discussion site? I didn't see it and wondered if it had been deleted. I didn't know if we should do a separate post there to advertise this group or not...what do you guys think (or is it even allowed)?

Okay, so it's time to use this blog, so I'll take the leap and go first. In my paragraph (from my supposed 500 word creative piece...not sure how that's going to work out!) that I posted to the Revision Discussion group, I said I didn't have a title. I think I may call it "Indifference [in a time vacuum]" as the central themes that keep repeating are time and indifference. The brackets used also point to a repeated theme used in the story.

Anyway, as the story is panning out so far, the character of "she" will have a connection with another character named "the other she." Here is the opening paragraph which introduces the new character:

It had been 19 years, 270 days, 14 hours, and 37 minutes since the other she had left her apartment. Time seemed to drag and fly by simultaneously which seemed to negate the definition of time as finite. The other she couldn’t remember why she stopped going into the world outside of her apartment, although she knew it wasn’t really a conscious decision. It just started with one minute, which extended into two minutes and so on.

So, critique away! I like how the last line starts but hate how it ends, so I know I need to do some revision there. Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe a good ending for the last sentence is to not end it:

"It had just started with one minute..."

The the rest is implied and understood.

Just a thought.

jkc said...

Ooo, that's a great possibility...I really like that idea! And it would fit in with the theme of time being so strange.

GeekUnderling said...

Very cool! It took me a second to get into reading "the other she", but once I figured that out it really came together. I'm with Vance to just leave the ending trail on. After you write some more, and reread back, another them or phrase might surprise you from nowhere as a better fit.

jkc said...

GU...that's what I'm hoping. Actually it seems to be the process that has worked best for this entire story. I have no idea where this is coming from and it's taking twists and turns that are making my head spin! I, too, was thrown by "the other she" but I swear it won't let me write it any other way. It's almost like "the other she" is some kind of mirror for the "she" from the paragraph in the discussion group. I'm just not sure how yet.

Welcome to the group and get posting :)

Theresa said...

Hi jkc. learning how to get around here. I am a little slow. Read your paragraph. I too was a little lost with the other she but went back and re-read your intro. I think I am just a little lost right now all together.lol Anyway I liked the story idea, interesting how she decided not to go out and I liked Stans suggestion.

Theresa said...

Just FYI Ann is my middle name and Garci is a variation of my maidan name. I don't think is says anything about my personality except maybe I am not very creative about coming up with names.lol which I do struggle with in my stories.

GeekUnderling said...

Will you all please promise to let me know if I post too much? I really enjoy this blog, and those that come here so far, are those I respect and admire their drive. Ann Garci - you inspired another post about pen names.