Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Plug for the Tub

If I don't provide a prelude, this might seem really odd. This was written many years back when I was remembering the past and gnashing my teeth over the future.


The hands have spun a million times or more, and the clock continues to tick. The gala tour is over, and the mortgage remains mostly unpaid. But though the gears in the timepiece of existence still turn, and my knowledge of the house is strong, I must find the restroom to flush the waste of other times. Oh great...where's the plunger?

My skin is crawling with parasites of experience. My feet are soiled by the sands of many streets. While I draw water from the future to wash away the past, the faster the flowage, the more rapid the drainage. Has anyone seen the plug for the tub?

5 comments:

jkc said...

Oooo, I gotta think on this one a bit, but in a good way. I know I like it but can't articulate why just yet.

jkc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jkc said...

Sorry about the comment removal...I was just testing to see if the site was back up and running. Okay, I think I've figured out why I enjoyed this so much and hope this makes sense. For my job, I have to read huge documents of policy, legislation, grants, and lots of other technical documents. Then, I have to be able to comment on them at a moment's notice. Which means I've gotten into the bad habit of being a "skimmer" rather than a reader most of the time. You made me slow down and read this word by word (as to really "get" it) and I loved that so much. It made me relish the word usage and really enjoy reading...thanks!

I kind of had the same feeling reading it that I do when I read "Jabberwocky." I know they're different in that you don't have the made-up words, but there was just something about the feeling I got when I read this...not really whimsical but I can't think of the exact right word now, of course :) And, with my old plumbing, my toilet overflows quite a bit, so that part was particularly great to me.

Theresa said...

That was great! I feel ya! Really, those were the days...

Sally said...

GU, at my age, I can relate to everything you are saying. I too would like to slow down or even stop time. Please find the plug, soon!! :)