Saturday, September 20, 2008

Frustrated and in Tears

I planned to take GU’s torch challenge. But I ended up with a challenge of my own. As you more or less know I was going to a Women’s Retreat last weekend. Let me tell you what happened and the week I have endured. Sorry if this gets a little long and its unedited for the most part.
I work as a caregiver and absolutely love it. I have worked for the same company for 23 years this November. I have one handicapped client and her family at present. I love working for them. It keeps me very busy. She is in a wheelchair, her partner is mobile except he needs crutches sometimes and has back and balance problems. They have his two sons and a little girl between them that makes up their family. I have worked 2 ½ years for her and the family is like part of my own.

Ten minutes before I’m to leave on retreat, I stood sorting through my mail. A letter from my employer was in there as well as a letter from my union. I opened one letter and stared in shocked silence at the words, “It is with regret that the executive board has decided to close the homecare division of our agency due to budget cutbacks. The department will close December 31, st ” I tried to make sense of the words, but my world all of a sudden tilted at a funny angle on its axis. Then I whisked away on our church van to spend the weekend thinking, wondering, and trying to cope. Alternately I cried and thought and got angry at the whole stupid thing.
On Monday I talked with my supervisor to learn that the company wanted to do one of two things. One would send us to different agencies where we loose our seniority and our pay. The other choice is to remain with the company and take a $1.50 - $2.00/ hr. pay cut to save the program. Not only does this jeopardize my family but it makes me feel my skills aren’t worth much.

Then there is the issue of our clients. The hope upper management wants us to believe is that all of us would transfer to a different agency and continue working with our same clients. But my shop steward does not seem to be so sure that other agencies want an influx of new employees when they have their own staff.
As far as my direct client, here is where it hurts the most. She has a team that oversees her care. The team does not want to wait until December before they have a plan. They don’t seem to want to wait a few weeks while this all gets worked out. On Thursday I was asked to leave early so they could all have a teleconference. Then today her team leader wanted to talk, but wanted my client to call back after I left. Personally this aggravates me and I feel unimportant and used. No one will talk to me and let me know what they’re thinking. My client just keeps saying they are looking out for her best interest and she does what they tell her to.
I wonder when I will be important to someone and someone will be concerned about what happens to me. My family is in full support of whatever happens and what I decide, but I guess its my employees and the clients I work with that cause the most suffering. I pour my life blood into my work. I always get close to them and their families. I know I shouldn’t, but It is who I am. I can not do any less than to cut my own throat. My husband tells me this caring is what makes me me, and makes me such a great caregiver.

I’ve had a week to think about all of this. I oscillate like a fan, between hope and despair. I toss around ideas and throw them away again. I cry and get angry and grieve and have hope. I feel like I am on a giant roller coaster of emotion and its only by a strong determination that I do not fall off. I feel so sick at heart and wonder where its all going to end. I try to keep busy and not think about it, but that’s hard when I don’t know any answers. This is why I asked GU to pray. I sure could use it. Thanks for listening, or reading in your case.

6 comments:

GeekUnderling said...

Is it possible the teleconference had them discussing ways they would work together to secure your position for the future so there is no interruption in service and some continuity in the caregivers? At some level, which I can't discuss right now, I can feel your pain. Just remember, God's in charge, even if He doesn't do what WE want when WE want it. Trust in Him.

Charlene said...

GU, Thanks for your prayers and words of advice. It may have been that they were trying to figure out away to keep me, but I do know they have been interviewing independent providers and other agencies before this all happened.

Anyway, I talked to our union shop stewart and there is a possibility another agency will take all of us and we won't loose our senority and our benefits will actually be better. I would have to take a $1.50 pay cut though. So I have been toying with the idea of working part time with them and picking up my own private clients. That way I would still get paid time off. Lots of thinking to do.

Theresa said...

Trust in Him. That is absolutely right.

Here's what I do know. In what seemed at the time, a very scary change, like a door closing loud and upruptly in my life has always turned out to be a blessing. The door God opened when that one closed turned out to be better than I could have imagined. That has happened time and time again in my 43 years of life. I have learned not to fret or worry in these times but to wait, expectantly and with a bit of excited nervousness, like a child on christmas eve. God's plan has always been far better than anything I could have worked out on my own.

I don't mean to minimize your trepidation and your sincere concern for your future. I do understand. My life is going through some major renovations right now and I too am looking at losing income approx 60%. so I tell you this with some very similir conerns. I pray you find peace in this time and that you are able to turn it over to the Lord and in all of his infiniate wisdom and power let him work it all out for you. Find the Joy that is in you and Rest in him. Be Blessed Charlene.

GeekUnderling said...

hey, is it okay to mention my newly designed blog here where I'm keeping my writing? I'm toying with whether to write a piece on my similar situation - which involves ethics, public service, and conditions dooming one to failure. But I'm not sure if that is an appropriate public forum for such ranting. However, if I do, it will be n0my.blogspot.com

jkc said...

Oh, Charlene, I am so sorry you're having to go through all of this upheaval. I know what you're saying...I work in the aging field and it amazes me how little people seem to care about the service end of things and our clients.

But, I think you might be in a better position than you think. There are many paid caregivers out there, as you probably know, who don't have the commitment you do. I talk to providers all the time (and I remember my days as an administrator) where caregivers wouldn't show up, wouldn't do the work, and would up and quit with no notice. You are an experienced caregiver with a stable work history and expert knowledge of client needs. In other words, you bring a LOT to the table!

I like that you're thinking about possibly trying some private clients. With your experience, I think you would do well. You certainly have a lot to offer people who are looking for caregivers. And there are certainly lots of ways to get your name out there. I'll be thinking and praying for you!

And GU, I definitely want to read that piece (and I probably have quite a few thoughts myself on those topics!).

Charlene said...

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and prayers. I feel better even though the situation hasn't really changed. I guess I decided that in some ways two could play this game too.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do, but I do know that if they go to a different agency before the end of the year I will be given new clients. I just can't figure out if I want to go on my own or take a pay cut and continue with another agency. Our union is negotiating with another agency who has verbally agreed to take all of us, let us keep our seniority, and still receive benefits uninturrupted. Lots of thinking and praying to do!

In the meantime our new writing class is off to a fast start. I am so glad I took the Beginning Writer's course first! Take care!