Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Counting Bricks

Folks, I was disappointed that no one had responded to my challenge, and so to get some discussion going, I thought I'd offer a piece hinted to during the class. Not so long ago, I imagined what a meeting with my birth father, who left when I was 4.5 years old, would be like. This is how it turned out...


Flight 88 landed as smoothly as it had taken off an hour ago. Mike parked the rental car and made his way into Spring Haven Hospital to finally confront his birth father.

Having just learned of Al’s hearing and sight deficiencies, Mike felt invisible as he stared at what he’d waited his whole adult life to see. In the full-length mirror on the front of the closet door, he could see his wheelchair-bound dad’s eyes fixed in a gaze out the window. The on-duty nurse had explained Al’s terminal prognosis.

Al was nearing the end, his liver liquor-pickled and his lungs ravaged by a lifetime of nearly everything able to be smoked. His reflection revealed eyes wilted to a squint by the sun, and a face creased by years spent contemplating the events that contributed to his present condition. Through his father’s raspy-sounding breathing, he couldn’t help noticing those eyes. Deep brown with whites hidden by an alcoholic’s roadmap of bloodlines, it was impossible to ignore the fixed stare.

Mike couldn’t help feeling sympathy for the old man. However, a lifetime of anger and planning these moments gave way to an internal conflict he couldn’t contain. Still, how should he approach him? Should he live out his recurring dream of planting a laser-guided fist to the nose of the son-of-a-bitch and say ‘hello, Daddy’? Maybe he should just grab the folding chair from the corner of the room and sit waiting for him to notice him and see what he said. Or maybe he should just leave and forget the whole thing. No…he’d waited too long, and he wouldn’t have another chance.

“Hello, Asshole!” he said, walking toward the folding chair. Relieved that, judging from an unchanged expression, his dad hadn’t heard him, he switched on the fly to a different approach. Mike unfolded the chair and sat beside Al. He leaned forward, put his elbows on his knees, his chin in his hands, and mimicked his father gaze.

After what seemed like hours of silence, he realized there was nothing to look at. A small eight-stall parking lot, a dumpster and the brick of another wing without windows. Quiet was broken by the rustling of the occupant of the chair next to him.

“3,946.” Mike said.

“What the sam-hell are you talking about?” Al asked, irritated at this space invading stranger.

“Bricks. 3,946 bricks, isn’t that what you were doing? Counting bricks? Nothing else worth looking at.” The number was random, just a feeble ice-breaker. All he had detected was his father’s Bostonian taint, and ignorance of Mike’s identity.

Al turned as fast as an 84-year-old could and wheeled away from the window. “I don’t know why you quacks don’t just leave me alone. Every day it seems some self-proclaimed genius is invading my space thinking he’s going to get inside my head. Can’t I just be left alone?” He reconvened his staring into the hall, since his window had been violated.

“I’m not a shrink.” Mike said.

“Whatever, I’m just as tired of doctors. Will you please leave…now??”

“I’m not a doctor either, Dad” Mike replied, wondering if his father was paying attention.

With no reduction in anger, he continued his tirade. “Look, if you aren’t a doctor you have no reason to be here. So, take your sorry ass out of…” he stopped mid-sentence and turned his chair around 180 degrees. Mike saw the same gaze he saw in the mirror, only this time it was fixed on him. “What did you say?”

“I said I wasn’t a doctor.”

“No you didn’t. You said you weren’t a doctor, DAD! What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Al slowly rolled closer to Mike, never once breaking the stare into his eyes. While the two faces moved closer together, they both began noticing the similarities in features. Mike could tell his father was putting it all together.

“My…good…God!” Al was not only out of breath from the most contracted verbal exchange he’d had in years, but stunned by what was in front of him. “Reuben Michael? Ruby? Is that you?”

“Mike…my name is Mike now. I changed it when I was adopted. But yes, it’s me.” The years of frustration were suddenly replaced by an overwhelming feeling of connection between a boy and his father. “Al…Dad, I can’t believe I’m talking to you. I’ve waited so long.”

“My…good…God,” Al repeated, “every single hour of every passing day since I ended up in this place I’ve contemplated how I could find you, face you and tell you how sorry I was for everything. And now, looking at you, seeing some of me in your eyes, I feel like you know.”

“I do know, Dad, and I’m sorry, too. Sorry I waited so long, sorry I’ve held these feelings of anger, sorry for…” his words were broken by his father’s interruption.

“Ruby, enough of that. Know that I love you, and I would have given anything to have undone everything I did that caused all this pain. But it’s over now, Ruby, its over.”

Before Mike could say any more he saw his father inhale deeply, and exhale a long, final breath. Words were unreachable as he watched his father’s eyes close for one last time. As they closed, a single tear emerged and traveled down Al’s cheek, eventually converging with a perceptible upward wrinkle in the corners of his dad’s mouth. He was gone. Even so, he passed with a settled spirit.

On the flight back Mike felt lighter, like a weight had been lifted. Gone was the anger, the resentment, the rage that had brought him. In its place was the satisfaction of reuniting with his father and knowing that despite everything, he loved his father – and his father loved him.

Back in his home town, Mike stopped at the courthouse and asked the clerk for the forms he needed to officially change his name. In the required box for the name being requested, he proudly spelled out…Reuben Michael...and then his last name.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent writing! The only thing I see is that you started out using the name John and ended up using Mike. I am assuming they are the same guy right? At least that's how I interpreted it. I do want to do the challenge you posted! I even copied it onto an index card so I would have it handy! I will work on it and post something soon! It is a fantastic idea and I think we should keep it going!

GeekUnderling said...

Oops! I tried to change all the John's to Mike, but must have missed some. When first draft was done, I decided not to hide behind my fake names. Thanks for pointing that out, EE. it would be nice to be able to go back and edit previous posts without reposting! But I don't think we can.

GeekUnderling said...

Hey!!! I just discovered I CAN edit my original post and have made the changes. Thank you so much for pointing those inconsistencies out so I can make the changes for future readers. That's pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

I thought you might have done the name change on purpose to see if we were paying attention =0)
I hope others will try the challenge! I'll talk to you soon GU!!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! This is Sally. Glad to hear everyone is ok from the storm. I had computer problems, lost data and I can't locate my password etc for the blog, I have it written down, I just have to find it. I just located the blog site address. I am sorry for using your space here GU, for this message, but I will have my password soon. I like the idea of your challenge, and to comment on "Counting Bricks", well I was just carried away with the content. When I read what you write, I am just there!!! I was looking into Al's eyes and could see the lines of aging, etc. You always put me right where I need to be to enjoy your work.

Katie said...

GU, Great writing. I could feel and see Al from your descriptions. I also loved the counting bricks (concept and for the title). Very moving and hope to be able to read more of your journey. THanks for sharing. Katie aka Lulu

Theresa said...

I am stunned. I liked that he died immediatly after making peace with his son. As if he had been waiting to die? Waiting for him so he could let go? That is fascinating.

Very moving. Nicely written, but fast. You could really expound on the moments of his last words and his death. Slow it down a bit and elaborate on it..does he walk over to him, does he hug him, kiss him on the check, hold his hand, tell him goodbye,Close his eyes,Wipe the tear? Draw out the emotions more. Does that make sense? I also liked the touch of cynical humor, very real. Your description of him was also good, the eyes, the lungs the face. All great visuals. I can see him clearly, very sad. Counting bricks, what a creative way to break the silence.

All in All I think a Terrific Job!

GeekUnderling said...

Thanks AG. When I wrote this, I was trying to stay under 1,000 words. So maybe I'll do just what you said. do you think I should post the final here, also, or just on my personal blog? I still haven't gotten around to putting all my writing on that page yet, because I'm waiting for a new laptop to arrive sometime early next week. Then I'll go a little nuts, I'm sure.
Again though, thanks so very much for your words of encouragement and kindness. And I really sincerely appreciate comments on how to make things better so keep them coming.

Theresa said...

First let me notate that the 2 question marks in the first paragraph of my comment should be periods. duh.

You’re welcome. I know I haven't really posted anything here yet, but when I do I am hoping for honest critique. I want to know what I can do better, or heck I even want to know if the story just sucks and chunking it would be doing society a favor.

Those word limits can be creatively stifling, but they did teach me to eliminate the unnecessary words, to make every word count.

Post it here. I'll read it and tell you what I think.

I hadn't gotten to your challenge because I was reading Stephen Kings book "On Writing" in it he had a challenge. I started it and 3,748 words later I had my first short story. Quite exciting. I am sure it's clichéd, unclear and probably weird, but it's my first and I never thought I could produce a story from beginning to end before, it's rewarding in that capacity. If you care to read it its posted at itsonlyastory.blogspot.com (It is totaly fiction, although it may parallel my life some, but not at all if you know what that means)
I wasn't sure if I should post it here. It starts out dark, heck I had stephen king on my mind but I couldn't keep that tone, it creeped me out.

GeekUnderling said...

AG, I'll comment on your piece on your blog, if I can. WOW!! I only wish I could write something so detailed and authentic. A few typos and things I'd go back and fix, but overall an excellent writing that you should be proud of. Thanks for sharing the link. I'll do the same when I get my blog set up with my stuff on it.

Theresa said...

GU I hope its okay I comment here on your comment.

I have really struggled with that exact point. I didn't want to side step the ugliness but didn't know how to hit it head on without being offensive. The way the story reads as of now, there really is no publication to submit it to. I realize that. I will work on it. Thank you. Your feedback is extremely valuable to me.

Charlene said...

GU, I really liked your story! I hope you found some healing and peace in the writing of it. I believe that no matter how much hurt our parents cause us, we will always love them. Nicely done.
e
By the way, it isn't that I don't like the idea of your challange, its just I had some very challenging circumstances in real life and haven't been able to concentrate on anything else very well. I'll write soon about it, but for now , please pray.

GeekUnderling said...

Your wish is my command. Prayer arrow....FIRE....FIRE.....FIRE!!!!

jkc said...

First, AG, don't you just LOVE "On Writing?" I found it at a garage sale recently. What's funny is that I don't really like King's books (too scary for me!), but I thought, "Well, the book's only 50 cents and it is supposed to talk about how to write." It's such a wonderfully practical book, isn't it?

Okay, GU, sorry to hijack the comments :) Now, on to your story...I have to say that I felt absolutely gutted at the end of reading it. As your reader, I have absolutely no real-life context to put something like this in, so I love how you drew me in with the thoughts going through your head, even the violent ones, of how you would react when seeing him. I also liked the quick change once you got there and the healing that happened. Like AG, it did seem like Al was able to pass away only because of his reconnection with you. And I loved the very last part, because it showed Mike's healing also. I thought it was a nice "full-circle" moment.

I did have a couple of questions in reading it: I know you said that it was how you imagined your meeting with your birth father would be. So, were the references to his alcholism what you imagined had happened in his life or did you know about them? Also, how did you know where to find him? You referenced "Having just learned of Al's hearing..."; how did you learn about those? I know the questions may seem meaningless, but they came up for me while I was reading it.

And, I'm going to get to that challenge in the next couple of days, I promise!!!!