Wednesday, November 12, 2008

FENDR BENDER - Final copy

Roxy stared forlornly at Bugsy, her baby blue VW bug. The wheel turned in from her fender and she wouldn’t be able to drive it anywhere. The big green truck showed little damage, only the dirt falling off the bumper in a heap on the ground.

“Just what did you think you were doing?” The voice came from above her, as she stood
surveying the damage, not daring to look up into the angry eyes of the man.

“I was trying to change lanes.”

“How could you not see me? I’m twice as big as you are in this thing. Do you have a license? And what about insurance?”

“Of course I have them.” Roxy’s eyes flashed momentarily and she dug her wallet out of her purse. Holding her cards out to him, the man snatched them from her hand. Noticing the name, he quickly looked
up.

“Roxy?”

Startled, Roxy’s brown eyes connected with the deep, ocean blue eyes of Jake, her high school
sweetheart. His blond hair glinted in the sun and her heart flip-flopped with long forgotten secrets.

“Well, I’ll be. I never expected to run into you.” he laughed softly, “Sorry.”

“What are you doing here? I thought you joined the service.”

“I did. I‘m out now, it’s been six years. You won’t forgive me will you?”

“Why should I? You broke my heart prom night. It was supposed to be special to us. ” Bitterly, Roxy turned to drive away, but she couldn’t move her car.

“Can I take you home? I’ll have your car towed.”

“Now you’re mister nice guy? Will you ever stop jerking my heart around? I’ll find my own way home,
thank you.”

Roxy, I can’t leave you here with cars whizzing by.”

“Fine, have it your way.” Roxy clamored into the truck.

“Where to? I doubt you still live with your parents.”

“Of course not. I’m an adult now, living by myself, at the Court Apartments.”
Jake stared at her. “What are you doing out there?”

“It’s cheap. It’s my home. You don’t have to like it. Besides, it’s not so bad.”

“Not bad? Shootings every night, robberies, it’s the worst part of town. “

“What does it matter to you? You left, you never sent me so much as a note. I had to do something. Are you taking me home or not?”

“I’ll take you home.”

The red brick building stood, its cracks filled with ivy in crazy patterns up its side, and loose shutters banged against the wall in the breeze. “What happened?” Jake turned to her, touching her shoulder. “Look at me, Roxy. Come have lunch so we can talk. I really would like to know about your life over the past few years. We can go to the café’ on main street. Please?’

“Okay.”

Parking in front of the Main Street Café’, Jake guided Roxy in the front door. She took a deep breath, smelling the old familiar scent of wood, food, and worn leather. She spied their old seat, and was pleased when Jake requested the booth.

“I don’t get over this way often. Too busy at the factory, I guess.” Roxy said.

“Is that where you work? What happened to the big exec job you wanted?” Jake studied her for a moment. “It seems like not much has gone right for you.”

“No. After you left, I wandered around for a while, not knowing what to do. Then I found my job, but it doesn’t pay much.”

The waitress took their order, and Jake turned back to Roxy. “I thought you would have found some gorgeous guy, gotten married, and lived the fairy tale life we dreamed of.”

“That‘s the point, Jake, it was our fairy tale, not someone else‘s with me. My handsome prince left and I couldn’t find another one.” Roxy looked down, swiping at a tear trickling down her cheek.

Jake reached over and clasped her hand in his. ”I really hurt you, didn’t I? I never meant to. I’m really sorry, Roxy. I didn’t want you waiting until I got back.” He brushed his fingers across her arm. “I wanted you to feel free to see other guys and have a life of your own.”

The woman brought their food and they ate for a few minutes. Finally, Roxy looked at Jake. “You could have asked, not just tell me you were leaving in the morning. You could have given me a choice to wait, not
decide for me.”

“I know that now. “ Jake looked into the face he would always love. “I should have done a lot of things differently.”

“Is this what’s it come to? A life full of regrets?”

Jake pushed his plate away. “If that’s what you want.”

Roxy stood. “I’m not hungry.” Turning, she ran out the door.

Jake hastily placed money on the table and hurried after her. “Roxy!“ He sprinted to catch up with her. Spinning Roxy around, he drew her to himself. Roxy’s fists pounded on his chest, the sobs breaking and spilling over into a cascade of torrents. Jake‘s arms tightened around her, his hand gently stroking her brown curls.

“Roxy, please let’s work this out. Neither one of us can take this roller coaster ride. Come on. “

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.”

He drove to their old hangout at Riverside Park. Holding tightly to Roxy‘s hand, Jake followed the beaten path to an old bench. “Remember when we carved our initials here? “ He rubbed the soft wood. “We pledged our lives to each other.” Jake turned her toward him. “I know I made a big mistake. I came back because I wanted to say I’m sorry. I want another chance. “

Roxy buried her face in his shoulder. “I’m scared Jake.”

“I know you are sweetheart. So am I. But let’s start over. Please marry me, Roxy.”

She swallowed, quiet sobs shaking her. Nothing mattered anymore, her true love had come home. “Yes, Jake, oh, yes.”

3 comments:

GeekUnderling said...

Charlene, Charlene....this is very, very good! For some reason it seems like a totally different story than the first edition you posted, and all the scenes tie together.
It has all the makings of a GREAT novel. Can I dream for a minute? And maybe an Eva style nudge?
What if Roxy never looked the person in the eyes that she ran into, didn't take any insurance info but gave it because she felt totally at fault.
Jake starts following her to learn about her life, to see if she was seeing anyone else, what she did for a living, and so on.
He tries to remain unseen, Roxy starts feeling stalked and hires a P.I. to find out who he is. The P.I. finds out, but during the investigation, though he knows his name, doesn't know their past...

Oh my gosh, I'm getting excited thinking about how this story could be developed.

Can I have a first copy?

Charlene said...

Thank you Geek! I sent it in to a short story romance fiction feature of a weekly magazine. Maybe in 1 to 6 months I'll hear something back. Maybe I'll think about a novel, but I have other things I'm working on too. Do you find once the writer's itch gets a hold of you, you can't stop writing?

As for the other blog, its on yahoo and is called writeitnowgang@yahoo.com They changed the name after you left your "ladies?????" comment. The blog is www.wordpress.com, and the password is evashaw08. Hope to see you there too.

By the way, nice job on your article you got published in the paper. Take care.

Theresa said...

Much better. Good Job Charlene.

Here's hoping you get it published.