Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fender Bender

Hi I wrote this and would like some feedback. Thanks, Charlene

Fender Bender


Roxy stared forlornly at Bugsy, her baby blue VW bug. The wheel turned in from her fender and she wouldn’t be able to drive it anywhere. The big green tank of a truck showed little damage, only the dirt falling off the bumper in a heap on the ground.

“Just what did you think you were doing?” The voice came from somewhere above her, as she stood surveying the damage, not daring to look up into the angry eyes of the man.

“I was trying to change lanes.”

“How could you not see me? I’m twice as big as you are in this thing! Do you have a license? And what about insurance?”

“Of course I have them.” Roxy’s eyes flashed momentarily and she stomped off to get her wallet. She held her cards out to him.

Fuming, he snatched them out of her hand.

“Roxy?”

Startled, Roxy’s brown eyes connected with the deep ocean blue eyes of Jake, her high school sweetheart. His blond hair glinted in the sun and her heart flip-flopped with long forgotten secrets.

“Well I’ll be. I never expected to run into you.” he laughed softly, “Sorry.”

“What are you doing here? I thought you joined the service.”

“I did. I‘m out now, it’s been six years. You won’t forgive me will you?”

“Why should I? You broke my heart graduation night. It was supposed to be our special night.” Bitterly, Roxy turned to drive away, but she couldn’t go anywhere.

“Can I take you home? I’ll call a tow truck.”

“Now you’re mister nice guy? Will you ever stop jerking my heart around? I’ll find my own way home, thank you.”

“Roxy, I can’t leave you here with cars whizzing by.”

Fine, have it your way.” Roxy clamored in the truck.

“Where to? I doubt you still live with your parents.”

“Of course not. I’m an adult now, living by myself, at the Court Apartments.”

Jake stared at Roxy. “What are you doing out there?”

“It’s cheap. It’s my home and you don’t have to like it. Besides, it’s not so bad.”

“Not bad? Shootings every night, robberies, it’s the worst part of town. “

“What does it matter to you? You left, you never sent me so much as a note. I had to do something. Are you taking me home or not?”

“I’ll take you home.”

The red brick building stood, its cracks allowing ivy to grow in crazy patterns on its side, and loose shutters banged against the wall in the breeze. “What happened, Roxy?’

Jake turned to her, taking her hand. “Look at me, Roxy. Come have lunch so we can talk. I really would like to know about your life over the past few years. We can go to the café’ on main street. Please?’

“Okay.”

Parking in front of the Main Street Café’ Jake guided Roxy in the front door. She took a deep breath, smelling the old familiar scent of wood, food, and worn leather. She spied their old seat, and was pleased when Jake requested the booth.

“I don’t get over this way often. Too busy at the factory, I guess.” Roxy said.

“Is that where you work? I thought you would have some big exec job by now.” Jake studied Roxy for a moment. “It seems like not much has gone right for you.”

“It hasn’t. After you left, I wandered around for a while, not knowing what to do. I found my job at the factory, but it doesn’t pay much.”

The waitress took their order, and Jake turned back to Roxy. “I thought you would have found some gorgeous guy, gotten married, and live the fairy tale life we dreamed of.”

“That‘s the point Jake, it was our fairy tale, not someone else‘s with me. My handsome prince left and I couldn’t find another one.” Roxy looked down, feeling the sting of tears.

Jake reached over and took her hand, his expression compassionate. “I’m really sorry Roxy. I never meant to hurt you. I didn’t want you having to wait until I got back.” He brushed his fingers across her arm. “I wanted you to feel free to see other guys and have a life of your own.”

The woman brought their food and the two ate for a few minutes. Finally, Roxy looked at Jake. “You could have asked, not just tell me you were leaving on our big night. You could have given me a choice to wait, not decide for me.”

“I know that now. “ Jake looked into the face he would always love. “I should have done a lot of things.”

“Is this what’s it come to? A life full of regrets?”

Jake pushed his plate away. “If that’s what you want.”

Roxy stood. “I’m not hungry.” Turning, she ran out the door.

Jake hastily placed money on the table and hurried after her. “Roxy! Wait.” He ran to catch up with her. Spinning her around he drew her to him. Roxy’s fists pounded on his chest, the sobs breaking and spilling over into a cascade of torrents. Jake pulled Roxy into his arms, stroking her brown curls.

“Roxy, please let’s work this out. Neither one of us can take this roller coaster ride. Come with me. “

Jake took her to the park by the river. Leading Roxy along the path, he found their initials carved in the soft wood of the bench from long ago. “Remember when we did this? We pledged our lives to each other. I know I made a big mistake. I came back to find you because I wanted to say I’m sorry and I want a second chance.”

Roxy leaned against him, staring out at the river. “I’m scared Jake.”

“I know you are. So am I. But, let’s move forward, not back. Marry me, Roxy.”

Roxy swallowed hard, her heart melting. Nothing mattered anymore, her true love was back. “Yes, Jake, oh yes!”

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Hi Charlene,

Way to go girl. Still writing I see. Thats great!

I loved the story idea, great concept here however I have to admit I didn't like this one near as much as your other one. I think it was because I couldn't get into the connection between the two. One of the things that distracted me from "them" was that I kept wondering what happened to her car. She just hopped in his truck and left her little bug there? My mind couldn't get into the whirlwind new romance that was developing.

Sorry, maybe I am just weird like that. Would to love to see any changes or add on's you may make to it because like I said the story line is really great!

Good to hear from you.
Theresa

GeekUnderling said...

Fender Bender. The title reminds me of an old time country western band.

Fun read. One thing jumped out at me early though. You said it was a VW bug and she was standing next to the wheel surveying the damage? Then she "stomped off" to get her wallet. Where did she have to stomp off to? Its a small car that's she's standing right next to. LOL!

This could be developed into a very nice story with a little more character development and scene setting...although I appreciate that short stories kind of limit that sometimes.

I'd nudge you along to work on this some more!